Tuesday, October 6, 2009

MIA and MIA

Why hello there. Yes, I suck. I am lame. I have not updated. Sorry. Between a weekend of houseguest and party, and a weekend of social stuff and Maine, I have been... lacking. This'll be a mishmash of random shite.

Let's see.

Stock making. For the first time ever (due to Miss Thang's advice) I chose to roast the bones from the Molested Chicken before making stock. An extra step, but OH. SO. WORTH. IT.


Before:



After:



As everything is sized down--the bones from the chicken (shreds were used for Mediterranean chix salad) and a couple of sad-looking onions and celery that were close to fermentation in my fridge—so I only ended up making about 4 cups total. Very concentrated, deep amber, full of fat (I rarely skim it, must keep booty at full size. Gots to represent Big Irish Asses).


In other news, I had a housewarming-my-good-friend-is-visiting-come-see-my-new-pad partay last last weekend. I proved that YES you can fit 15+ people in my place without discomfort. The key? Good food, lots of bellinis, lots of beer from Cambridge Brewing Company, and lots of Italian red from Trader Joe's.

Here was the spread. Most of it disappeared.




A word about sandwiches, made with "baguette" (or whatever the grocery stores are passing off as such): this tip from Miss Thang, and dammit, it works. OK. So, you have a sandwich. The bread is important to a point. But what I really want to feel close to, to be intimate with, is the guts of the matter. Miss Thang, on our Free Friday trip to Singing Beach this summer, made roasted portabello sammiches. They were the frickin bomb, and that wasn't just the Pims Cups talking. Her trick? Rip out the soft, overly-filling guts of the sandwiches and toast what's left, and cool, prior to sandwich building. The result? Crispy bread, emphasis on fillings, and no overload on bread.


I made Ultimate BLTs (applewood smoked bacon, crisp; pounded chicken seared in said bacon fat; homemade honey mustard; heirloom tomatoes, romaine, and red onion) and Caprese (fresh mozz; pesto; beefsteaks; more romaine). Note to self: next time, regardless of vegetarian friends, stick with more meat-based sandwiches. The carnivorous side comes out when people are inebriated.


Last but definitely not least, Granola.


Those who know me know I don't buy cereal. At least, I haven't bought it since I started making my own granola about 2 years ago. It's healthy and cheap, and stores well. I'd run out tonight, and needed to make another "batch". This term used to mean two cookie sheets full of granola (7 cups oats and other stuff). Well, now I'm down to 2.5 cups oats, 1/2 each oat bran and wheat germ, and 1/3 cup each canola and maple syrup.





Again, the Breville performed wonderfully. The convection action improved on my method, which is really about dehydrating the granola instead of baking it. When the heat is too high, it gets dark quickly but stays raw tasting. Likewise, I add the nuts 30 minutes in, before I turn up the heat for browning--otherwise you can end up with bitter burned nuts. Ha. I said nuts. 3 times.




Turned out great. And this size makes approximately 8 servings for me, lasting over two weeks for breakfast if I intersperse with peanut butter toast.

OH. And MIA and MIA? So I am old and lame. And just discovered the singer, MIA, this last week. Hot damn. I'm in love.

Latah.

No comments:

Post a Comment